Pages

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Stark Direwolf - Gift Box

I wanted to do something special for my brother A. There are many, many directions I could have gone for him: dragons, medieval sorcery, mythology, Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel Superheroes, and the list goes on. Once again, Mr. P to the rescue. I related my indecision to him and he said, without skipping a beat, "Stark direwolf."
The box would be black on the inside as a nod to John Snow and the Night's Watch, and all white on the outside as a nod to winter...which, in Canada, is definitely here.

I did some research for the sigil. I was looking for something that conveyed the fierce direwolf without being too detailed and found these two.


After some further research into heraldry, I decided to use an exaggerated Swiss escutcheon for the outline. 


Once sketched out in my notebook, I recreated it on the box.



It took several coats of black and many touchups with white gesso to get to the final product.




Once finished, I gave it a couple of coats of shellac for gloss and protection.

Final product
View of inside


Link to first post in this series: