Pages

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Renaissance Colours - Gift Box

My aunty A often visits for Christmas. Since she is travelling quite a distance, I needed to do something small that wouldn't be a challenge to transport. She is a devoted Christian and I wanted to follow that direction. Having just seen a replica of the Sistine Chapel in December, I recalled the colour scheme that was often used: blue, pink, yellow, and white.

Detail of The Last Judgement, Sistine Chapel, by Michelangelo

In thinking about it, most Renaissance depictions of Christ and the Madonna use the same colour scheme. 

The Annunciation by Fra Angelico


The Aldobrandini Madonna by Raphael 


And so my colour scheme was set. I kept it simple and elegant.

Primed
Pink, yellow, and white
Blue, pink, yellow, and white

The final product

Link to first post in this series: