Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

After Michelangelo

Mr. P discovered there would be a once in a lifetime Michelangelo exhibit at The Met in New York. Within moments he suggested we go see it. Within a day or two tickets had been booked and arrangements for accommodations made. We went. It was spectacular. 

2 quick gesture drawings:


 



Michelangelo's treatment of the human figure, of light and dark, and of movement is masterful. Divine, even. The exhibit was called "The Divine Draughtsman" and rightly so. After much time absorbing the beauty and wonder of his work, I went down to the Greek and Roman galleries to sketch some statues. Holding what I saw Michelangelo do in the back of my mind, I attempted to consider the figure and light and shadow through his lens.

I spent 2 days in The Met, poring over the sculptures. Here are some of the sketches I produced.


Torso of youth. Dec 2017.



Seated torso of old man. Dec 2017.

Roman statue missing limbs. Dec 2017.

Detail of head of Roman statue missing limbs. Dec 2017.


I learned that I've forgotten my love of figure drawing. And that statues are great because they don't move.