Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Changeling

What does it mean to change?
I mean subtle changes, shifts really. Small things that don't seem like much at first, but eventually are meaningful. I look back and find I no longer identify with that which came before.


There are so many things I was that I no longer am, and things I am that I have never been.
Interests lost and others lit. 
Wells emptied and others filled.

The vessel that I am is more full than it has been before. 
And yet I am more uncertain than I have been before. 

~~~

A changeling is a fairy child who has been swapped with a human child. Which am I? The fairy child in the human world, or the human child in the fairy world? Both are equally strange.

~~~

To have embarked on an unintended journey; and to discover that what did not exist before now grows; that the world is stranger and more complex than ever I was taught; to learn to adapt in order to exist; to begin to find who I am in the midst of this cacophonous jungle of uncertainty, or possibility...is to begin to recognize something rich and strange. 


Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.  
-- Shakespeare, The Tempest